All the software releases in one place
Information about All the software releases in one place
Jimmy Westenberg / Android Authority
Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 update hub. Here you’ll find the latest information on software releases for Samsung’s latest smartwatches. We’ll detail the current firmware versions for the Galaxy Watch 4 and the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and alert you if there’s a new update rolling out.
Both the Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 4 Classic launched with Wear OS 3 and Samsung’s One UI Watch skin on top. During the Wear OS 3 unveiling, Google said it would issue more frequent updates to the platform, but the company has since told Android Authority it has “nothing to share” on how frequently it plans to issue new releases. Samsung will likely work with Google to issue major software versions for the Galaxy Watch 4 series while keeping its core One UI Watch apps updated constantly.
- Current stable version: Wear OS 3
Latest Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 series update
October 12, 2021: Samsung is rolling out yet another update to the Galaxy Watch 4 and the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (h/t 9to5Google). If you were hoping for more feature additions, you’ll be bitterly disappointed. The latest firmware, numbered R8**XXU1CUJ2, brings a brief, vague changelog hinting at “improved system stability and reliability.”
It’s unclear which issues the latest update fixes, but it’s important to keep your firmware current. Head on over to Settings > Software update on your watch to check for new updates. Or open your Galaxy Wearable app on your phone, head to Watch settings > Watch software update.
- September 29, 2021: Samsung rolled out firmware version R8**XXU1CUID which “improved system stability and reliability.”
- September 10, 2021: Firmware version R8**XXU1BUI5 (h/t SamMobile) landed on the Galaxy Watch 4 series. It brought improvements to the touch bezel on the Galaxy Watch 4 and improved system stability on both models. Not mentioned in the changelog by noticed by XDA‘s Zachary Wander, the update also smoothed the app drawer’s scrolling while adding a new drawer animation.
- September 2, 2021: Samsung pushed out firmware version R8**XXU1BUH9 to the Galaxy Watch 4 series in the US, Europe, and the UK (h/t TizenHelp). It added the Samsung Health function to settings. A cancel option for automatic workout detection and a volume adjustment option in the quick settings panel was also introduced. Calorie measurements during cycling exercises and general stability improvements rounded up the patch.
- August 22, 2021: The first Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 series update rolled out even before the wearables started shipping. It carried firmware version R8**XXU1BUH5 and had a size of 290MB. The update included stability improvements and bug fixes. Overall performance was also enhanced, but Samsung didn’t give out the exact details of those improvements.
What firmware are you running on your Galaxy Watch 4? Let us know in the comments. Also, if you’ve spotted an OTA that we haven’t, tip us!